5 auto repair shop advertising ideas to generate leads
- Online ads can help your auto repair shop compete with larger brands for visibility, even on saturated social media platforms
- Direct mail can be an affordable, low-tech option when you customize your message for small segments of your audience
- Brand consistency across all advertising channels will help you build trust, which is crucial in the auto repair industry
When auto trouble strikes, the first thing people do is search for a nearby mechanic. Depending on your area, they’re likely to find at least one other local pro who provides the same car repair services you do. So how do you use your auto repair marketing strategy to drive clients to your shop?
Auto repair shop advertising ideas can help you become your customer’s first choice in a crisis—and the next time they need assistance. Largely thanks to digital advertising, many ad options let you customize your budget and closely target your ideal customers. These five ideas will help you take advantage of the opportunities that digital ads offer.
1. Pair SEO with search engine ads
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of improving your website so it can gain more traffic from search engines. The more SEO-friendly your site is, the higher it will rank on search engine results pages, ultimately giving your brand more visibility.
Common SEO tactics include:
- Keyword targeting: Add words and phrases that customers are searching for to your web page copy. Relevant keywords may include automotive terms like “oil change” or local keywords like “auto service in Austin.” Free keyword research tools can help you find the ideal terms to use.
- Mobile optimization: Since most searches occur on mobile devices, search engines prioritize sites that are easy to load and navigate on a smartphone. Most website builders offer templates with responsive layouts, which change according to a website visitor’s device. Once you customize your template, you can check your website load speeds for mobile and desktop with a tool like PageSpeed Insights.
- Page speed optimization: Top-ranking websites load in less than five seconds. If your website is image heavy, that could impact your load time. Consider using an image compressor, which reduces the size (i.e., bytes) of an image without impacting quality, for your largest files and gauge how it affects your page speed.
SEO tactics can help you increase your website’s search engine ranking—perhaps helping your business land on the first two pages of Google as your domain authority grows. This is critical since the first 10 search results win the majority of clicks. But for small business owners with limited website content, it can be hard to compete with major brands for visibility through SEO alone.
Search engine ads display your site above the top result so when your target demographic searches for a certain term, you’re guaranteed visibility. These ads help auto repair shop websites win over potential customers, even while competing with major brands.
2. Optimize and promote your Yelp Business Page
Potential clients rely on review sites like Yelp to hear directly from a brand’s current customer base. This digital form of word-of-mouth builds trust with customers—97% of whom make a purchase after visiting Yelp.
Maintaining your online business listings is a good way to communicate your professionalism and customer service. Once you claim your Yelp Business Page, optimize your content by:
- Updating your contact information and business hours
- Adding high-quality photos of your shop, auto repair services, and even happy customers (with permission)
- Respond to both negative and positive reviews professionally, ideally within a day
You can also increase your business listing’s reach with Yelp Ads, which put your listing above Yelp search results and on competitors’ pages. This auto repair shop advertising idea is also low investment: You only pay when you receive a click, so every dollar spent is guaranteed engagement from customers actively seeking your services.
Ready to try Yelp Ads?
Put your business in front of more customers.Start advertising
3. Show up on social media
Social media is a powerful online marketing tool. Billions of potential customers spend their time on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, and 90% of people purchase from the brands they follow. If you want to compete with other local businesses, you need to have a presence there too.
Social media marketing strategies, including social media ads, can help you stand out and grow your following in a saturated medium. Social media ads target your ideal clients’ feeds, even if they’re not following your page. As with Yelp Ads, you’ll only pay when you get a click.
Each platform offers unique ad options. For example, Facebook ads allow you to collect emails and phone numbers on the platform and target customers who visited your Facebook Business Page to generate leads faster. These and other social media ads are a budget-friendly way to reach local customers most likely to choose your brand—ultimately boosting your return on investment (ROI).
4. Acquire leads through direct mail
Auto repair shop advertising ideas don’t have to be digital. Direct mail—also known as ads mailed to your surrounding area—can help drive leads to your local business.
While direct mail is a more traditional marketing idea, it can complement a digital campaign if done right. Instead of casting a wide net with generic mail, customize your messaging for a target audience. For example, if you’re sending mail to a high-income ZIP code, highlight your luxury car repair services. If you’re targeting new residents, try offering a “new neighbor” discount on a tune-up or oil change to keep their cars in shape after their move.
Direct mail is also a highly effective advertising idea for re-engaging past clients because, according to some reports, most consumers (76%) will not only open, but they’ll also discuss the mail you send. In addition, they’ll make 5x larger purchases than email marketing recipients. A marketing campaign with incentives, such as a free oil change with their next purchase, can also help influence them to revisit your auto repair shop.
5. Keep your brand consistent across ad platforms
Consumers value auto repair shops that offer consistent, trustworthy service. To prove you can meet their needs, both your offline and online presence should reflect the quality of care you provide.
Your small business branding should be recognizable when you engage with clients. Keep your logos, brand colors, and other visual elements consistent, and train your team to express the same key messages. For example, if “trust” is a core value for your brand, everyone from your mechanics to your social media manager should be open and honest in their communications with customers.
Consistent branding can increase your revenue by 23%, so designing memorable ads is in your best interest. Staying true to your brand and values can also help you generate loyalty among current clients, who can deliver more referrals, stronger testimonials, and more repeat business. 64% of consumers say shared values help them build a trusted relationship with a brand.
Support your growth with new auto repair shop advertising ideas
New auto repair shop advertising ideas—from Yelp Ads to direct mail—can help you earn new customers and re-engage previous clients. Many of these advertising tactics are cost-effective too. When you choose channels that target specific customer segments, you can tailor your messaging to their needs (and therefore win their business).
Need to build a marketing strategy before you budget for ads? Check out auto repair shop marketing ideas for inspiration.
The information above is provided for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and may not be suitable for your circumstances. Unless stated otherwise, references to third-party links, services, or products do not constitute endorsement by Yelp.